When you get a smart meter, it comes with a small unit called an In-Home Display (IHD). Your IHD helps you keep track of the energy you are using in real time so you can see which appliances are using the most energy in your home and look for ways to save.
This guide covers the setup of your In-Home display and shows you how you to make the most of the features available.
- Setting up your In-Home Display
- Overview of your In-Home Display
- Getting the most from your In-Home Display
- Managing the settings
- Connecting your IHD to WiFi
Setting up your In-Home Display
Your In-Home Display and smart meter communicate wirelessly so it’s important that you position the display near to your meter so that it receives the best connection.
To set up your In-Home Display:
- You will need to plug the accompanied cable into the back of the display unit and then plug the power cable into a wall socket. You can also power your display with batteries for short periods of time by sliding off the back case. You will need 3x AAA batteries for this.
- Next, press the power button on the front of the display and the unit will begin connecting to your smart meter and your WiFi.
- Once your display has finished connecting you will see the home screen.
Overview of your In-Home Display
Your display shows you how much energy you are using on a day to day basis and how much this has cost you.
You can view your usage in pounds and pence or in kilowatt hours (kWh). Find out how to change the display units here.
- Electricity used today – Tap here to view your usage over the last day, week or month
Gas used today – Tap here to view your usage over the last day, week or month
Connection – Shows when your IHD is connected to your smart meter and WiFi
Home button – Return to the home screen
Settings – Change the display units for your energy, adjust brightness and view information about your device
Back button – Return to the previous screen
Power button – Turn your display on / off
Getting the most from your In-Home Display
Try turning different appliances on and off to see the impact this has on your energy usage.
Your display updates with your usage in pounds and pence in real time. You can use this to see which items are consuming the most energy by switching appliances on and off to see how this affects your usage.
To get a better view of your usage tap the electricity (and gas if you use both) icon on the home screen. This lets you see your usage in real time as well as the amount of energy you have used over the last day, week and month.
- Tap the electricity (or gas) icon - Tap the area of the home screen, as shown by the pink circle, to see a more detailed breakdown of your usage.
- View your live usage - See how much energy you are currently using and look at the graph showing you when you used the most energy over the day. You can also view your usage over the last day, week or month by selecting an option at the bottom of the screen.
- View your past usage - In this example you can see how much energy you have used today alongside how much you’ve used each day over the last week. Use the selector in the top right of the screen to toggle viewing your usage in £, kWh or carbon emitted.
Managing the settings
Click the Settings button to change your IHD preferences. You can:
- Change the display units of your energy from money (£) to energy (kWh)
- Adjust the brightness
- Change the standby settings
- View details about your device
Connecting your In-Home Display to WiFi
To help keep your IHD up to date it’s a good idea to connect it to your WiFi. Follow these steps to do so:
Select WiFi from the settings menu - Tap the Settings button from the home screen and then select ‘Wifi’ as shown by the circle.
Enter in your WiFi details - Enter your WiFi network name in the SSID box and enter your WiFi password. Click apply and wait a few moments for your IHD to connect to the WiFi.
Your WiFi is connected - Your IHD is now connected to your WiFi. Press the Home button to return to the home screen.